|Jackson Square District
Battery to Montgomery
32. The Customs House on Battery and Washington, which was under construction (Eames & Young) when the 1906 earthquake hit, has been recently restored. Added are new murals and a photographic display of the history of this great institution.
33. Philo T. Farnsworth Plaque at Sansome and Green marks the laboratory where television as we know it today was invented in 1927: a fully electronic transmission of moving images.
34. Levi Strauss Plaza, with consolidating Gold Rush era artifacts of the company at corporate headquarters, Battery beyond Filbert, in the shadow of Telegraph Hill and framed by the Embarcadero.
35. The 1865 French Consulate, 432 Jackson, the home of first Poet Laureate of the U.S., Ina Coolbrith, teacher of Jack London.
36. 'Sherman's Bank' (1854), Jackson at Montgomery, is recorded with a plaque on the very building where Willian Tecumseh Sherman lived on the second floor. On Montgomery near the Belli Building were offices of the Golden Era and the Alta California. These blocks, including Hotaling Place, contain most of the surviving structures of the old City.
37. The Transamerica Pyramid stands on the site of the Monkey Block (Halleck, 1852). Behind it is Redwood Park, with statuary of dancing children and a plaque to Emperor Norton's dogs, Bummer and Lazarus. Transamerica regularly uses its ground-level space for historical exhibits.
38. Across Montgomery from the Pyramid are bas relief and a plaque detailing the dramatic 18-month history of the Pony Express; here also, a plaque about Hudson Bay Company.
39. The Pacific Heritage Museum on Commercial is excellent for its art, on three floors, and also preserves the Subtreasury room where Bret Harte met and sponsored Mark Twain.
Copyright © 2012 Gold Rush Trail Foundation